Tuesday, May 22, 2012

South Indian Monkey Trap

Robert Pirsig describes 'value rigidity'; being rigid in your values.
He uses the South Indian Monkey Trap as an example.

A hollowed-out, chained coconut is placed on the ground with some rice in it.
A hole is made, just big enough for a monkey to put his hand in.
Finally, a monkey comes along, sticks his hand into the coconut to grab the rice.
The villagers run towards him, trying to catch him.
Monkey goes Mad.



Conundrum for Monkey:  I have to let go of the rice if I want to retrieve my hand and escape, or hold onto the rice and be caught and killed.
Mmmmmm, choices choices.

(I can give you a clue:  The monkey dies because he is too rigid in his values, he can't fathom that he can choose differently, be different.  He can't let go of that rice.)

It's busy at work.
I don't want to be that monkey whose hand is stuck and doesn't dare to think differently.
My life is my own.
It doesn't belong to stress or problems or work or other people outside my family.
It's mine, all mine.
Am hoping for the best to be able to think laterally, this week.



.




No comments:

Post a Comment